A walk through day 3… After experiencing several ‘firsts’ yesterday, and then being able to spend the evening getting to meet the community health workers, we were eager to head out and meet the people of Bullet Tree Falls. We joined Ms. Gema and Mrs. Evette Waight, the community health worker for Bullet Tree, as they introduced us to several families in the community. We were honored to be invited into their homes, enjoy much laughter on their front porches, share in relief from the shade, and experience several encounters with a variety of puppies, chickens, ducks, dogs, and a turkey. While our tasks were simple (health screenings, Zika prevention, and teaching about planting containers), our blessings were many as we were invited into the family spaces to share life with the people of Bullet Tree.
We ended our day at an intercession prayer service at Oasis of Blessing Church with our friend and brother Pastor Kevin Tzib. There is no better way to end a day than in prayer with fellow believers.
- Invite God to open your heart and mind to His Word.
- Read the passage below (2 Corinthians 4) at least once.
5 For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. 6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
- Carefully consider and answer these questions about the passage:oPaul writes that he proclaims Jesus as Lord rather than promoting himself. In the church at Corinth, there were many people who claimed to be followers of one minister (e.g., Apollos, Cephas) or another. Some even claimed to be uniquely followers of Christ (see 1 Corinthians 1:10-13). How might we be in danger in Belize of promoting ourselves rather than Jesus?
- Paul describes his role as a servant “for Jesus sake.” What are some qualities and actions that define what it means to be a servant?
- Consider Paul’s lengthy description of what God has shone into our hearts: “the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” How would you paraphrase what Paul is trying to communicate here?
- Prayerfully write down what you found meaningful in this passage.